One Student One Tutor

What are you going to do if your child is not doing well in school? My daughter is 8th grader (in Gymnasium) and her grade on certain subject is suffering. Being a parent, it is my duty to support her and listen and to understand what is happening. I talked to her, and she acknowledges that she’s struggling in Math, so I got her a tutor. The tutor gave my daughter confidence, and provided lots of tailored work to suit her needs. KC ended up getting a 1- in Math last week.

1. Good to hear that tutoring was effective for your daughter. Educators say that it’s all about learning styles. Some kids just can’t deal with the classroom-setting and they would rather be in small-group or one-to-one learning. I began my teaching career as a private tutor in my Mom’s tutorial center in Greenhills.

Tutoring is big business in Metro Manila, not just for college entrance exams review, but also for day-to-day homework of students from private schools.

And just in case, anyone’s in need of tutoring services, please contact my Mom at 725-2903 or 0920-9218663. Thanks πŸ™‚

2. auntie celia says:

hi! kathleen,

That’s excellent. Keep it up. :cloud9

3. mikster says:

I can remember how difficult it was to keep my son interested in school work when he was younger. We muddled through some how though.

4. the tutor must be so good πŸ™‚

5. joy says:

Hi Beng! Thanks very much for listening to Usapang Pinoy yesterday. I hope you make it your 3 o’clock habit on Saturdays πŸ˜€ If you want to listen to it again, do visit my freshest blog A Pinay In England where I have created a podcast for it.

Being an avid fan of education myself (I used to be a professor at La Salle in Manila), I believe that parents should listen to their children when they tell them what it is they specifically need. In your case, you did, that’s why your daughter is benefiting from it! Yay! She should also get an incentive, I think πŸ˜€

See you in May! Before you fly to Davao ha.

joy
    A Pinay In England

6. kengkay says:

my little girl would be going to school this september, i am bracing myself to some homeworks, too πŸ˜€ pero tama ba itong mga naririnig ko na hindi daw maganda ang pagtuturo ng english dito sa alemanya kasi masyadong nakadikit sa program na minsan e hindi naman tama na. dami kong narinig about that e. amd glad your girl is doing better in school though.

• Beng says:

Hi Kenks,

Sa elementary grade yes maybe ganun nga. Pero saludo ako sa Gymnasium dahil ang galing ng turo nila. My daughter speaks English a whole lot better than me. Hehehe, wala na akong pag-asa.

Don’t pay too much attention about other people’s opinion. And besides, nandiyan ka naman…di vah?

7. reyna elena says:

UY! i need a freaking private tutor sa bweszt kong french! HHAHAHAHA

8. reyna elena says:

hahaha! belib ako ever pati anak sinali na sa PPP hahaha taz pinutakti pa nang comments! enjoy! hahaah!!

• Beng says:

Pssst! Huwag ka ngang maingay diyan _baby. Pero mader, yang mga kuwentot ko sa opps ko ay talagang related sa muhay ko kaya ko nga feel eh. Trulily na nagkandahirap itong aking dalagita sa Math…pero lang may sariling tutor ang school nila. Kaya ko nga to pinili :grin dahil alam ko kaagad anong isusulat ko. Di vah?

9. reyna elena says:

BTW beng, am glad you put back the stats on your page. That would mean a lot even if THEY put your PR down because your page views are in the stratosphere! anak ka talaga nang langit ever!!! kelan kaya ako magkaron nang pageviews na ganyan? hahaha!!!

• Beng says:

But look at the pages naman na binabalikbalikan ng mga tao :). WordPress themes lang…hahaha.

Reynz, ano ka ba? Pinuputakti ang site mo ah…inggit nga ako’t more than 100 comments ang halos bawat entry mo. So that means daming page views din yan.

day beng sometimes its the pace sa classroom
    i believe that a smaller class is the best for learning gyud
    when i was at school we were only 10 in history, 8 in our english class the aim of the school is less no of kids but full benefits sa need sa mga bata gyud day…

• Beng says:

korek ka sha, nagsugod lang man ning problema ni kathleen this year. can you imagine 28 students sila sa ilang klase. normally 20 lang dapat tapos kanunay pa nga masakit ang maestra kay buntis man. i am glad sa math lang siya medyo ninghina. 8th grade in gymnasium is really difficult ilabina kay naa na silay latin karon. papa g. was worried about it kay gusto man unta niya nga french ang kuhaon ni kathleen. but to our surprise, she’s doing great

11. gail says:

‘te beng good thing it worked on kathleen. tutoring also worked for me back in elementary.

12. naduwal sa sindak si barbara says:

hallu, ‘telomi :beee :beee :beee :beee :beee :beee :beee :beee :beee :beee :beee pansamantala lang akong bumangon sa hukay para bumati sayo ng ‘hellow’ o sya, babalik na ulit ako sa hukay, babush!!!! :huh: :kukuck: :kitty: :headache 😎 :blindfold :arrg πŸ˜₯ :kukuck: :drunk :motorbike :motorbike :motorbike :motorbike :motorbike :motorbike :motorbike :rainy: :rainy: :rainy: :rainy: :rainy: :rainy: pag naovercome ko na depression ko babangon ulit ako from the hukay :beee :beee :beee :beee :beee pakiss nga!!!!

13. PinoyUnited says:

nice to hear that. focus lang talaga ang kailangan. More attention kung ano ang weakness.

Modesty aside – i won a math competition in my high school – i needed a math tutor when i was 6.

14. manilenya says:

hay naku manay beng….speaking of tutor..yung mga titser ng anak ko ewan ko ba laging binubug nanay ko kung magpapatutor daw yung bata biro mo sila na titser sila pa tutor? syempre kasi iba yung bayad sa tutoring…. pero di ko maintindihan kasi kung di kaya nung bata yung pagtuturo nila e dapat iba na lang tutor kasi baka me problem sa pagtuturo nila diba?

15. Ambo says:

We had the same problem like your kid momski. We enrolled him here at KUMON. Right now hes doing well in math. that’s a good decision. Mothers know best talaga.

16. Ambo says:

btw, sino ba yung guapo na yun sa entrecard? lols

17. that’s very good news, sister beng. glad to hear your childs doing much better in math with a tutor by her side. minsan talaga, a one-on-one is much better. dba? have a wonderful day sis, mwaaah :cloud9

18. noemi says:

I never believed in tutoring until the guidance counsellor told me that my eldest needed a math tutor. From 6th grade till Freshman college, she always had a math tutor. It was needed because it was only Math that she struggled with.

19. joy says:

By the way, I see that you’ve been visited by a ghost from the past, too! πŸ˜€

joy
    A Pinay In England

20. lelet1322 says:

Hi beng

tiyaga lang talaga ang pag-alalay sa mga bata when it comes to education…mahirap ipilit kung wala doon ang interest pero hindi rin puedeng pabayaan baka bumagsak …tutoring is good specially kung ang bata ay nasa early years of education like nursery… dito sila hinuhubog at makikita mo ang kanilang interest or talent…

mahirap ang math, i think tama lang na magpa -tutor siya hanggang gusto niya…importante ipasa niya ito…sa ibang subject doon naman siya bumawi lalo na kung fav. subject niya…every good grades give her incentives that will be her motivation to study harder…thanks