Sweet Cinnamon Rolls and my Diet

I was so depressed after my birthday party last March. I felt insecured after seeing my old friends still slim and sexy, while I am weighing double to their weight. So, soonest they left…I started having a diet. Diva Jing sent me a copy of her diet plan she got somewhere, this Weight Loss Diet program was developed in conjunction with a grant from the US Department of Agriculture and the Food and Drug Administration.

My agony started with Day 1, the meal plan was consisted of all kinds of fruits except banana. I survived the first half of the day with ease. Later in the afternoon, I started imagining food while eating apple I dusted with cinnamon. Whoa, the scent of cinnamon reminds me the tasty cinnamon rolls. Crazy as I am, I turned on my pc and started searching for the recipe. Yes I know I was on diet but see, the spirit is indeed willing but the flesh is weak. So I surrendered and baked this delicious sweet cinnamon rolls instead.

Cinnamon Rolls

Wanna try it?

Sweet Cinnamon Rolls

Ingredients for basic dough:

4 – 4 1/3 cups all-purpose flour

1 package active dry yeast

1 cup milk

1/3 cup sugar

1/3 cup butter or margarine

1/2 teaspoon salt

2 eggs

Ingredients for cinnamon filling mixture:

3 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted

1 to 1 1/2 cup granulated sugar, I used granulated brown sugar

2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

3/4 cup raisins (optional)

How to:

In a large mixing bowl combine 1 1/2 cups of the flour and the yeast; set aside. In a saucepan heat and stir milk, sugar, butter or margarine, and salt till mixture is warm (120ƂĀ° to 130ƂĀ°) and butter or margarine is almost melted. Add to flour mixture along with eggs. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds, scraping bowl constantly. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Using a wooden spoon, stir in as much of the remaining flour as you can.

Prepare basic sweet dough and let rise once. Punch dough down. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide dough in half. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Roll each half into a 12×8-inch rectangle. Brush with melted butter or margarine. In a small mixing bowl stir together granulated sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle onto dough. If desired, sprinkle with raisins.

Cinnamon Dough

Roll up each rectangle, jelly-roll style, starting from one of the long sides. Pinch seams to seal. Cut each roll into 10 to 12 slices. Place slices, cut-side down, in single layers in two greased 9×12-inch round cake pans. Cover and let rise in a warm place till nearly double (about 30 minutes). (Or, cover with oiled waxed paper, then with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 2 to 24 hours.)

Rolled, cut and ready to bake.

If dough is chilled, let stand, covered, for 20 minutes at room temperature. Puncture any surface bubbles with a greased wooden toothpick. Bake in a preheated 375 degrees F oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or till golden brown. Cool slightly. Transfer to a large platter.

Goodluck and happy baking šŸ™‚

1. mae says:

Absolutely gorgeous photos. That’s it you’ve convinced me to try this tomorrow. Pag domobleng tumaba ako, i’ll blame you!

thanks a lot mae. hahahaha, i’m going to hide so you can’t put the blame on me when you gain weight šŸ˜€

3. cheH says:

gusto kung tikman sweet cinnamon mo pero yung baked na, haha paki DHL na lang day beng šŸ™‚

4. cheH says:

btw, I luv this new theme you created, gleng gleng talaga!

Cheh, itong cinnamon rolls na ito ang lalong nagpataba sa akin. Paano inaraw-araw ko rin kasi ang pagbake just like with the pandesal šŸ˜€

I was really planning to bake some and send it to you. You know what? Let me just surprise you. How’s that?

Re theme, ito pa rin yong luma pero medyo iniba ko lang ang header at ang setup ng content šŸ™‚ salamat miswa.

6. ces says:

wow! you have a great site beng! i’m linking you in ok? and yummy food too! i will also try to make this cinnamon roll soon1 thanks for the recipe!

hello ces,
    it’s nice to see you here :). thanks for linking me, add din kita ha? natanggap mo ba ang email ko sa yo?

whohoo! kailan ba opening ng bakery mo, chef…hanggang IKEA cinnamon rolls lang ako eh, would looove to try yours..nyek, nakakapag laway!!

9. stel says:

beng! patay na ko sa battle of the bilbil bulge. this looks so tempting. i’ll try my German instant yeast won this nga.

musta na kayo bengganda…especially the little boybi Gillian.

10. JMom says:

o my, these look georgeous and delicious. but…. your security code just reminded me, nothing beats a warm pandesal for breakfast šŸ˜€

the girls and I love cinnamon buns from the mall. Maybe we can now give it a try at home with your recipe. salamat!

11. gail says:

halu…from sha to jing to ces to here…yummy yummy naman ng cinnamon..sobrang favorite..pa copy po ha… i also tried yung diet ni Jing and it worked 8lbs nawala…sibrang hirap nga lang gawin…

12. It looks heavenly ate beng!!! hmmmm

Stel, naku matatalo kita sa vilvil. Gillian boy is doing fine. Thanks God hindi na grabe ang pollen lately.

Hi JMOM, thanks for the visit. Naku I am sure di mo na kailangang pumunta sa mall just to buy Cinnamon. Ah the security code šŸ™‚ my favorite.

Hi Gail,
    Buti ka pa, medyo nabawasan nga ako ng 2 kilos pero bumalik dahil sa katakawan ko.

Hello Charles,
    it also taste so heavenly šŸ™‚

14. ate cha says:

hi ! that looks so yummy. My mum and brothers were always very happy whenever I bring cinnamon rolls for pasalubong. I miss those times! Thanks for sharing this, I might make some one day!

15. tess says:

I am from Mesa, AZ, USA, been reading your site for a while now, so far made the pan de sal and Thai spare ribs. Had good results by following your recipe. Was feeling homesick. You help me improve my cooking and felt somehow connected to the Philippines. Thank you.

16. Lulu says:

Hi…I’m from Northen California, and I somehow ran across your blog by goggling “buko pandan,” and I’m glad I did. I have yet to make any of the recipes you have posted but I’m sure I’ll “attempt” the cinnamon rolls first…your pix of the rolls look sooooo “masarap”…it’s making my mouth salivate! šŸ™‚
    Take care…

hi ate cha, tess and lulu,

i am glad to hear you like the recipes i posted.

greetings

18. stephanie says:

may i ask how much is 1 package of yeast since in pinas,malalaki ang pakete ng nabibiling yeast diba?madalas ko kasing mabasa yan sa iba pang ingredients eh, gagawin ko din ito, tingnan ko lang pag di tinikman ng mr.ko,di daw kasi niya type ang lasa ng cinnamon,tnx a lot ha, buti natuklasan ko tong site mo.

hi stephanie,

bale 8 grams ang laman ng isang pouch ng yeast dito. it’s around 1 spoonful yan. goodluck šŸ™‚

20. gitti says:

Hi, I read you Cinnamon Rolls recipe and I imagine my childhood. In Hungary (Central Europe) this kind of sweet dough is a common one and we make it either with cocoa powder or Hungarian sweet red paprika (pepper) powder. It has various names in the parts of the country and in bakeries we can buy these kind of rolls in large sizes – 20-30 centimetres:)
    If you like the form sometimes we fill the rolls with thick pizza sauce. It’s really good for beer or a glass of wine. In this case you should use less sugar in the dough, about 1/2 tablespoon and you can melt some cheese on the top of it.

21. beth springer says:

Hi,
    I’m from Alaska I’m so glad I discovered your site. I have been making your cinnamon rolls and pandesal for the past year now. I bring ’em to potlucks and give ’em away for gifts. In fact, I have a catering business (part-time) and my specialty is cheesecakes, sweets and the likes. People have asked me to put them on my menu and once I did, orders were just pouring in daily. I had to make a schedule for people who order on a weekly basis (and there are quite few filipino living here). It was unbelievable! So, I thought I’d share this with you.
    I can’t wait to try your tiramisu cake as well, as my best seller cheesecake is Tiramisu…

Thank you for sharing your wonderful recipes!
    Beth Zabala-Springer