Broccoli Casserole with Ham

Hafner family is one big family, yes it is…most specially when my step kids are here with us during school vacation time. Children in general are noted to be maselan sa pagkain. What to do if you have four kids around you and each of them has different choices of food. One doesn’t like fish, other is half vegetarian and the rest are not certain what they like to eat. I surely go nuts if I’ll wait and follow each of their wishes. So what I did is I prepared something very simple. It has vegetable, meat, pasta and cheese. It is quick to prepare, tasty and healthy. And to my surprise all four liked it.

Please take note that I prepare a big portion of Broccoli Casserole (Broccoli Auflauf). You have adjust the amount of the ingredients of this recipe for your own needs. So now here’s how:

Ingredients:

1 liter sterilized low fat milk

250 grams Creme Fraîche

500 grams Ham

500 grams grated Emmentaler (you can also use Mozzarella instead)

1 kilo Penne Pasta

1 Kilo fresh or frozen Broccoli

2 Knorr Vegetable Stock Cubes

2 tbsp flour

salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste

Preheat oven to 350 °F or 180 °C

Cook pasta in plenty of boiling, salted water until just al dente. Peel stems and florets of Broccoli and blanched in salted water. Then slice ham into cubes.

In saucepan, combine milk, flour, creme fraîche, vegetable stock cubes, salt, pepper and nutmeg and cook until slightly thickened.

In a large baking dish, toss cooked pasta, then spread sliced ham over top and add blanced broccoli. Pour sauce over the mixture then sprinkle grated cheese. Bake uncovered for 35 minutes or until cheese is golden brown (if desired).

Guten Appetit!!!

1. charles says:

wow this is great ate beng!!!

2. auee says:

hi, newbie ko sa site mo. I will try your meatloaf this weekend.

The broccoli looks superb! Too bad my husband is too much of rice person to appreciate this. Yung anak ko naman is just 20mons. Ako lang sigurado uubos
    😉

I will keep the recipe!

Charles, talagang masarap ito and super easy.

Auee, salamat sa dalaw :). Mahilig sa rice ang asawa mo? That’s great. Saka mo na lang pakainin ng “mini tress” (that’s how my kids call broccoli florets) si baby kapag medyo malaki-laki na.

finally… i lost u a bit ms kusina…
    anyway I bought some broccoli today
    maybe I will do this way
    its too boring just steaming them
    yummy with lots of creme and cheese!

en gute

5. grace says:

wow… I love brocoli… I’m not seeing them in the supermarket these days…

6. ting says:

‘still talking to me? I know, I know, marami akong utang sa iyo. But I will make up for them very soon…promise.

7. cheH says:

benggay: luv this design inday,it’s very you!:) ganda ng kuku,mukhang nde ako makapagluto kung ganyan kaganda ng aking mga daliri,hehehe

8. Connie says:

heto na naman ako, food blog hopping after dinner. i’m just punishing my diet. 😆

hindi ka nag-iisa. matagal ko ng sinasabing magdiet pero hanggang ngayon…bilog pa rin ang tiyan ko. hmmp, sarap kasing kumain eh.

10. Alpha1 says:

I don’t really like broccoli, but I know it is good for me! I had left some in the refrigerator too long — and this was a good way to use it up, together with some left-over ham.

The pictures showing the steps in the preparation are GREAT!!!

11. Courtney says:

I made this for my family and my sister’s family with leftover Christmas ham. It was fabulous! Everyone liked it. So simple to make. So tasty. Nice touch to use the veggie bouillion cubes for extra flavour! I made a few small changes: I used about 1/4 cup of chopped onions sauteed in 2 T butter to which I added the flour for a roux. Then I added the milk and I used light sour cream instead of Creme Fraiche. I used 1/3 Comte cheese, 1/3 Jack cheese, and 1/3 mild cheddar. I also added a pinch of cayenne pepper.

12. ellen says:

hi sister! bago ako sa site mo. i tried your meatloaf the ther day. first time ko gumawa ng meatloaf. kinain lahat ng husband ko! i want to try your broccoli casserole pero hindi ko alam kung an yung “Creme Fraîche” and “Emmentaler”. saan ko ba yan mabibili dito sa america? may iba bang tawag dun?

13. Corriander says:

Wow, nice recipe. I will be trying this on Friday when I have the time to cook.
    I think I may be spending some time here. Thanks

14. Corriander says:

Well I made the dish and I have to say a big thank you. It was gorgeous.

15. admin says:

Hi Corriander,

Glad to hear you like the recipe :). I think it’s about time for me to post new recipes. Thanks for the visit and for trying the recipe.